Sunday, May 29, 2011

Question: Do Mormons believe in God?

A Question of Whom
This is a stumbling block for most mainstream Christians when it comes to us Mormon Folk.  Do we believe in God?  Do we worship Joseph Smith?  Do we believe in the Divinity of Christ?  

To me, they sound like ridiculous questions.  Do we believe in God?  Of course we do.  Do we worship Joseph Smith?  No, we don't.  We just respect him and appreciate the sacrifices he had to make as the first prophet of the restortation.  Do we believe in the Divinity of Christ?  Of course we do.  We believe that Christ is our Redeemer.  Our church is even named after him-- The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  And, our first Article of Faith states, "We believe in God, the Eternal Father, and in His Son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost." (Emphasis added)

What's the dealio then?  The makeup of the Godhead, or the Trinity.

The Godhead: Three Separate Beings
Mormons believe that the Godhead are three separate beings-- one in purpose.  One= unity.  We know that Christ taught by example.  Wouldn't it make sense then, if he instructed his church to find unity that he would have that same unity with his Spiritual SWAT Team?  

We didn't just pull this belief out on nowhere, either (in case you were wondering). 

Scriptures:
A)  Matthew 3: 13-17 
C) John 17: 1-26
Commentary:
A) When Christ was baptised-- He was in the water, the Holy Spirit appeared in the form of a Dove and a voice from Heaven said, "this is my beloved Son in whom I am well pleased," or something to that effect.  Now, usually the simplest explanation is the correct one.  Isn't it simpler to say that the Godhead are in fact three separate beings in this instance then?  I believe so...
B) We know that this scripture depicts what happened to Stephen- a disciple of Christ- when he was being stoned for proclaiming the Gospel message.  He was full of the Holy Ghost (one personage).  Jesus (the second person, resurrected) stood on the right hand of God (third distinct personage).  This is one of the most obvious references about the Godhead being three separate beings.
 C) Okay, in this scripture-- it's all about Christ praying to the Father.  From what I've gathered in my personal scripture study...Christ is a pretty humble dude.  He wouldn't need to pray (to himself) to glorify (himself).  It just doesn't gel.  And, why would it be necessary to refer to God and Jesus Christ separatly?  If they were one, you wouldn't need to mention both of them.  It takes two to tango...or to have a conversation.  Again, the simplist explanation is usually the correct assumption.
 God The Father


The Father, or Elohim is generally referred to by 'God'.  He's called 'Father' because he is the Father of our spirits (Mal. 2:10; Num. 16:22; 27:16; Matt. 6:9; Eph. 4:6; Heb. 12:9). Have you ever asked yourself, "Who am I?" in a serious spiritual setting?  I mean, think about it.  Who are you, really?  One of my favourite children's hymns states, "I am a Child of God, and he has sent me here."  I am a Child of God.  I am a daughter of a King.  Isn't that powerful?  We're all spiritual royalty, and our time here on earth is like a quest to reach our full potential. Cool stuff, eh?

He's the supreme ruler of the universe. He is all powerful (Gen. 18:14; Alma 26:35; D&C 19:1–3), all knowing (Matt. 6:8; 2 Ne. 2:24), and everywhere present through his Spirit (Ps. 139:7–12; D&C 88:7–13, 41). Humanity has a special relationship to God that sets man apart from all other created things: men and women are God’s spirit children (Ps. 82:6; 1 Jn. 3:1–3).

Heavenly Father introduced Jesus Christ several times (Matt. 3:17; 17:5; John 12:28–29; 3 Ne. 11:3–7). He appeared to Stephen (Acts 7:55–56).  

Here are some scriptures staring our Heavenly Father...

God the Son 
We know him best as Jesus Christ, Saviour, Redeemer, Jehovah or the Prince of Peace.  (Isa. 12:2; 43:11; 49:26; 1 Cor. 10:1–4; 1 Tim. 1:1; Rev. 1:8). He works under the direction of Heavenly Father and is in complete harmony with him.  They both want the same thing-- to see us return home and gain eternal life.  They work together-- they work in unity. All mankind are Christ's brothers and sisters, for he is the eldest of the spirit children of Elohim. Some scripture references refer to him by the word God. For example, the scripture says that “God created the heaven and the earth” (Gen. 1:1), but it was actually Jesus who was the Creator under the direction of God the Father (John 1:1–3, 10, 14; Heb. 1:1–2).
God the Holy Ghost
The Holy Ghost is also a God and is called the Holy Spirit, the Spirit, and the Spirit of God, among other similar names and titles. With the aid of the Holy Ghost, man can know the will of God the Father and know that Jesus is the Christ (1 Cor. 12:3).

Conclusion
The Living Christ: The Testimony of the Apostles
 
I am in no way under the illusion that I am a biblical scholar, or that I know everything about my faith.  I can't quote scriptures off the top of my head and impress everyone.  I don't have all the answers.  I don't know all the ins and outs.  There are a few things I do know, however.  I know that Jesus Christ is my Redeemer, and - my source of strength.  I know that I am a Daughter a God-- Heavenly Father.  He loved me so much, that he sent his own Son to atone for the sins of the world- mine included.  I have felt the warming comfort one can only find when you seek out the Saviour in prayer.  I know he lives.  I don't think, I know.  I love my Saviour, and I try everyday to be more like him.
I look at life as an ongoing journey.  I'm always growing, and always changing.  The one person, the one thing that has been my constant is the Saviour.  In times of trial, or heartache he has been the one to carry me through.  Just knowing that I am loved-- that there is a Godhead all wanting to see me return home safely brings me an overwhelming surge of comfort.  I have found moments of peace- Godsent, in the most chaotic, emotional and darkest moments of my life.  I bare witness that Heavenly Father, Jesus Christ and the Holy Ghost are there and that they love each and every one of us-- not matter what we've done in our lives.  I bare witness that Jesus Christ is the Saviour and that his precious gospel is true.

I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment