Sunday, March 20, 2011

the launch


You know how every science experiment has a crazy-smart scientist who views the project as a daughter, or son?  They are usually depicted with crazy white hair, a dirty lab coat and regarded as...well nuts.  It’s bound to happen- being so smart to imagine things that are not yet created could contribute to a the “crazy” reputation.  Look at Einstein....

Problem: Scarring experience at public school.  Solution: homeschooled for the remainder of grade 6. 
Problem: Becoming a raving lunatic while enduring home school.  Solution: Find and pick a new school to attend (ASAP.)
Problem: New school thinks I’m a dedicated devil worshipper out to convert everyone to Mormonism and indoctrinate students and faculty to accept polygamy.  Solution: ?!

So, I found the school.  Finding the school should be the hardest part; there are so many matters to think of.  How would I get to school every morning?  Is the school's academiz well developed?  Is the school understaffed?

Enrolling into the school should not.  Oh, how wrong my naive mind and ideologies were... 

As it turns out- there are Christians out there who do not like Mormons (imagine my surprise).  They think we worship the devil (despite our church name- The church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints) and outright participate in practices which disagree with biblical theology and teachings.  We are often viewed as a horribly mislead, and or a bad bunch of religious ‘folk’ to mix themselves with.  Some are still firm in the belief that we still practice polygamy (I was asked if I had five moms once- quite humorous)- even though the church hasn't for almost century.  They believe things that anti-Mormonism groups stir up and invent.  Heck- they probably even read anti-Mormonism literature, movies and if it’s possible- music.  You know those wild stories related to Temple dedications and those religious fanatics who make all sorts of signs, sitting on camping chairs just outside the temple grounds....protesting it’s opening?  Yeah- well those people actually do exist....and as I later found out are really, really good people.

Clarification: although members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints are referred to as Mormons- that isn’t what we are.  We are Latter-day Saints. The term “Mormon” was a derogative nick-name given to us by mob members in reference to the Book of Mormon.  So some advice from me?  Refer to yourself firstly as a Latter-day Saint and if people still don’t know what that is then say you’re a Mormon.

My application process was rigorous.  On top of the usual school application information (previous schools, name, address, my average grades, citizenship...etc) I had to have an interview with my Bishop to certify that I was in fact an active member of the church.  My parents hunted down references, made calls and booked interviews at the school.  After the application was submitted however- the real work began.  There was a school board meeting concerning me.  In my head I always imagined the board members wearing black, holding pitch forks, setting a photograph of me to flame while chanting in a circle, “devil worshipper,” (ironic imagery- no?). 
                
Remember the crazy-smart scientist I refered to earlier?

My principal was the crazy-smart scientist dedicated to the project of accepting a mormon girl to a Christian School.  He took the time to see what he was looking at.  He took the time to give me a chance and believe in me, despite the repercussions.

As soon as my application was handed in and my parents began to actively look into the school- scandal exploded within the staff.  The school board (they talk about really, really, really serious issues) had a meeting with me as their topic.  All of them were 100% in agreement to reject my application.  Then walks in my principal.  Did I mention that when he was growing up, LDS missionaries rented out his basement?  Or that he was an avid listener of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir?  He walked into the meeting, and expressed his firm belief that if Mormons were of the devil, there would be no way that they could create and make such beautiful, and spiritually uplifting music and if their bias was the base of their decision it should be rethought.  This of course, created even more scandal.  The school accepted my application, with reservations.  My parents had to sign a contract stating that we wouldn’t proselytize and that the school respectfully disagreed with some of our beliefs.  Bringing the missionaries for show and tell was defiantly out.

So- I was accepted to the school.  I didn’t pay attention to the contract my parents had to sign.  I’m actually positive in the assumption that it never even crossed my mind.  As long as I didn’t bring the missionaries for show and tell, everything would be fine; and if we’re totally honest...how many of you can say that you’d bring the missionaries to school for show and tell?  I was excited- overjoyed- with the promise of a new school, new teachers and new friends to meet and enjoy.  Even though it was incredibly challenging to even be permitted to attend the school- I never fully realized that there were in fact faces behind the opposition.  Opposition for that matter- I wasn’t even aware I’d be enduring and fighting against.

I didn’t even pause to consider the fact that all the faces- human beings- behind the contract- opposition- were truly, strongly disinclined at my attendance of their school.  I didn’t pause to think about the faculty- the fact that they already knew all about me.  I didn’t pause to think about the staff meeting where I was brought up.  Did they all get a copy of the contract to read through?  Did they stop and gossip about me before the school year started?  Did they share knowing glances in the hallways as I walked by?  What did they really think about ‘Mormons’ before I was accepted to school b?  Did they view me as the ‘earthling’ come to invade their beloved Mars?  I'll never know what they thought of me before I came to attend school b.  What I do know, however, is that my presence at the school had a positive impact.  

I was different- I had different views, had experienced different things...and I was an unknown.  Would they dare to look past my astronaut suit and see that I had a heart- a heart that loved the same person they did?  Most importantly, would their opinions change once they saw the face behind the labels, miss-constructed, bigatrous ideologies of what Mormons really were?  Would I then, in turn be able to see past the Martian exterior and get to the heart of things without judgement?

Who knew it would be so hard for a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to be accepted into a multi-denominational Christian school?   
         
Obviously- not me.

No comments:

Post a Comment